Restoration Shaman in Cataclysm

Awesome class strategies? Amazing talent builds? Here's the place to talk about it.

Moderator: Officers

Restoration Shaman in Cataclysm

Postby Rhaegal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Contents
I. Introduction
II. Spec
III. Spells
IV. Stats
V. Glyphs

I. Introduction

As healing can be a bit of an art these days, with mana pools tight even in heroics (at least when you first get them) and healing spells significantly underpowered in relation to health compared to what people may be used to from the Wrath days, I decided to follow Undra's lead and keep an up-to-date Restoration Shaman thread for anyone who might be leveling an alt or have one at max level that they want to be able to play to the best of their ability.

Please note that this guide is up to date as of Patch 4.2.0.

II. Spec

The first question people generally want answered when looking into a spec is how exactly they should be speccing in the first place. This spec should be the basis for your talents. There isn't a whole lot of room for error. Some notes on specific talents, and what to do with the last five points (pretend there's nothing in [Blessing of the Eternals]:

[Ancestral Resolve]: This talent is mostly just filler to get from Tier 4 to Tier 5 if you don't put any points in Cleansing Waters, and do content where you can expect to be taking lots of damage. Basically, put 1 point in Cleansing Waters to move down the tree if you'll use it, otherwise this works.
[Totemic Focus]: This talent's primary strength is in the fact that it also increases the duration of [Mana Tide Totem] from 12 seconds to 17 seconds.
[Cleansing Waters]: This talent makes cleansing debuffs extra fun and extra efficient. In many cases, when debuffs are coming rapidly (for example, Forgemaster Throngus's sword phase), the healing from this talent may be all you need, completely removing any decision-making along the lines of, "Do I heal now or cleanse now?" Easy: do both! That said, as your gear improves and you move onto ZX and/or raids, this talent becomes a much less effective use of points, and can be dropped.
[Tidal Waves]: This is one of the bread and butter talents of Resto, and if you're going to be good at it, you really need to get a feel for how this works. Basically, every time you cast Riptide or Chain Heal, your next two direct heals gain a buff. For HWave and GHWave, it's 30% haste, and for HSurge it's 30% crit.
[Ancestral Swiftness]: This seems gimmicky, but it is a necessary talent. The 15% passive run speed is a must-have for getting out of fire, catching up to tanks, etc. The instant-cast Ghost Wolf is a nice bonus, and is often useful for getting out of a lot of fire even faster. Don't be afraid to pop into GW when healing to get to where you need to go faster.

For the last five points, consider the following:
[Telluric Currents] (2 pts): I highly recommend this for raiding Shaman. It allows you to blow your mana pool and recover it when you don't need to be healing, as 2/2 points makes Lightning Bolt restore more mana than it costs. In fights with bonus damage phases like Magmaw, this talent is phenomenal, and gets better with raid buffs and gear. It's not super useful in heroics, though, in my experience. In either case, it's 1 point is useless--go with 0 or 2.
[Blessing of the Eternals] (2 pts): This talent was essential in Wrath due to the large amount of high-damage AoE that would regularly bring people down to low health combined with the fact that Chain Heal was our primary heal, allowing us to spread the Earthliving HoT to lots of people. Now, this talent tends to be poor outside of 25-player hard modes, but pretty much everyone still takes it out of habit anyway. If you don't plan on using Telluric Currents, this is an okay allocation of those points, but it's never really going to provide a ton of performance unless you spend a lot of time healing low-health players using Chain Heal and Healing Rain.
[Focused Insight] (3 pts): I don't really like this talent, especially for the significant point investment, but many people do. This is essentially another button you can push to boost your next heal if you know you're going to want to do so. Highly situational, and dependent on playstyle. Can be extremely powerful with Healing Rain.
[Totemic Reach] (2 pts): Might be useful in raids. Definitely makes Spirit Link Totem more useful. I find that most encounters are set up such that optimal totem placement covers everywhere people could conceivably be, other than SLT. Might be useful on raid fights like Al'Akir or Heroic fights like Erudax.
[Acuity] (3 pts): Put any leftover points you have here, as it's a decent throughput and mana efficiency talent, especially now that crits are double effectiveness instead of merely 1.5x.
[Elemental Precision] (3 pts): I'm mostly including this for completeness. This is really only relevant to 25m raiding shaman who are assigned to raid healing and cast Healing Rain basically on cooldown. This talent boosts the efficiency of Telluric Currents on raid bosses by ~20%, as it removes the chance that you will miss and end up spending mana instead of restoring it. In order to get this, you have to be willing to drop Ancestral Swiftness and some other talents, and likely use [Convection] as your filler to further maximize your TC efficiency.

Personally, my 5 points are split with 2 in Telluric Currents and 3 in Acuity, but your mileage may vary.

III. Spells

Restoration Shaman have several attributes that set them apart from other healers, and most of these are abilities that aren't necessarily healing abilities, but are equally important to any Shaman that wants to contribute to their group. As such, I'm dividing this section up into Healing Spells and Non-Healing Abilities.

(a) Healing Spells

[Healing Wave]: This is your bread and butter spell. This is the long-cast-time, low-throughput, ultra-low-mana-cost heal. Unless you are having exceptionally bad mana problems, you want to be spamming this on the tank to keep up [Ancestral Healing] even if he's at full health.

[Riptide]: Riptide is our second most cast spell, and is often my highest healing ability. Keep it up on the tank, use it to spot heal, and when moving. Crits from the initial damage proc [Ancestral Awakening] (AA), but HoT tick crits don't.

[Greater Healing Wave]: This is the shaman long-cast-time, high-throughput, high-mana-cost heal. Can be very good for tank healing, but tends to be too slow for raid healing with other healers present. An excellent spell under Tidal Waves, still okay otherwise. Note that this spell got a significant buff in 4.0.6, and is generally more worth casting than Healing Surge unless Tidal Waves is down and time is of the essence.

[Healing Surge]: This is our "Oh Shit!" heal. It's a fast-casting, extremely high-throughput, extremely high mana cost heal. That said, under Tidal Waves, with 30% extra crit chance, its HPM is only a bit behind that of GHWave. Outside of Tidal Waves, its HPS is better, but its HPM goes down the hole. As of the 4.0.6 changes, this spell is much more situational, and should mainly be used when someone desperately needs a heal immediately, mana be damned.

[Earth Shield]: Just as good as it always has been. Keep it up on the tank. Now automatically increases all direct heals on that target.

[Earthliving Weapon]: You have no control over this HoT, other than that if you take [Blessing of the Eternals] (which you may or may not have), you automatically put it on anyone you heal who's under 35% health. Like all other HoTs, this can crit now.

[Chain Heal]: CH isn't what it once was. It is still a pretty good AoE heal, and you should still keep it available, but it is only worth casting if it's going to hit 4 targets, or at least 3 with no overheal. It's also good for spreading the Earthliving Weapon HoT.

[Healing Rain]: Superb area healing for at least 4 targets who are going to be standing in one place for a while. This can also proc Earthliving Weapon, but with a reduced chance.

[Healing Stream Totem]: This ticks for ~1100 or so on all five group members every two seconds in fresh lvl 85 gear. By the time you start collecting ilvl 359 epics, you'll see it ticking for > 1500 raid buffed. HSTotem is your go-to water totem unless there's no Paladin giving you [Blessing of Might] (same mp5 bonus as [Mana Spring Totem]) and you really really need the mana. Otherwise, the healing and the resistances from the glyph make HSTotem superior.

[Unleash Elements]: This does very little healing in and of itself, but it's instant cast, so you can use it on the move. It's also good if you know you're going to want to buff your next heal. This does not affect Healing Rain. It is useful to know, however, that if you queue up a Riptide during your next cast, both the cast time heal and Riptide will gain the +20% bonus. UE is obviously most useful in conjunction with GHWave.

(b) Non-Healing Spells

[Mana Tide Totem]: This is now raid-wide. Use it on cooldown any time you or any other healer in your raid might need the mana at any point.

[Spirit Link Totem]: This is easily the strangest of the healing cooldowns in the game. For the duration of the totem, everyone within its effective radius takes 10% reduced damage, and their health is redistributed every second such that everyone has the same percent health. For example, if three people are in it who all have the same max health, and one takes damage that brings them down to 1 HP while the other two remain at full, then after 1 second all three will be at 67% health. It gets less simple when you factor in varying health pools and a myriad of other effects. However, the totem is still a useful cooldown both for raid and tank damage when used properly, though it suffers a lot from the positioning requirement. You may not use it super often in 5-mans, but it can be amusing when you have adds on you to run up to someone and drop it so the damage is being split.

[Spiritwalker's Grace]: This gives you the ability to heal on the move as if you were standing still for 15 seconds.

[Wind Shear]: Have this available at all times. Shaman have the shortest cooldown interrupt in the game, and you should be ready to use it no matter what spec you are. As a healer, it's often the case that it takes less time, effort, and mana to interrupt a spell than to have to heal the damage it would have done.

[Fire Elemental Totem]: Believe it or not, Fire Elementals do very noticeable damage, on the order of 3-4k single target DPS and 5-8k AoE DPS, depending on the fight. The duration is also affected by [Totemic Focus], so it lasts a very long time. Use it on every encounter where some extra DPS would be helpful, especially if adds are involved. Be aware, though, that as caster DPS has increased with gear, if there's no other source of +6/10% spell power buff in the group, your Flametongue totem may be a better source of DPS for the group. Your hit rating does carry over to your Fire Elemental, so it will do more damage if you choose to take an Elemental Precision spec.

[Tremor Totem]: Due to recent changes, this is no longer the "set and forget" ability it once was. Know when you might need it, and have it ready.

[Grounding Totem]: When your air buff totems aren't necessary, don't forget to consider the potential for Grounding Totem. Every little bit helps!

In general, know what classes bring buffs equivalent to or better than Strength of Earth, Stoneskin, Windfury, Wrath of Air, and Flametongue Totem, and adjust accordingly.

IV. Stats

Restoration Shaman stats are more of an art than a science. I can't give you exact numbers on what is better than what and by how much, in large part due to the Restoration Shaman community as a whole can't agree on the relative values of ANY of the secondary stats. All I can do is give you a run-down of what each stat can do for you, provide any thresholds as applicable, and let you decide what to gear for.

Intellect: Obviously Int is our primary attribute. Provides spell power, mana, and a small amount of crit, which in turn gives us more mana. Gem for this primarily. Most socket bonuses are still worth getting, though, so don't necessarily gem for it exclusively.

Spirit: More important early in gearing. You'll notice that you begin feeling better about your mana pool and longevity once you hit somewhere around 1800-1900 spirit. Depending on the content you're doing, more isn't bad, but probably unnecessary for heroics. Note that with the new mechanics of [Mana Tide Totem], your spirit matters to your fellow healers in raids. This is probably not a big enough effect for you to go out of your way to gear for it if you don't need it for yourself, though. That said, if you plan to transition from heroics to raiding, you should aim to have Spirit naturally appear on almost every item you have, and reforge to it on other items.

Haste: Haste is still our best secondary stat for consistent, reliable throughput. It doesn't provide nearly the bang for the buck as it did in Wrath, though, and some people actively dislike it as a result. (I'm not one of them, for the record.) It is worth noting that it also decreases the time between HoT ticks, and at certain thresholds, provides an additional tick. Assuming Wrath of Air, the practical points where this happens are as follows:

Riptide - 8th tick at 261 rating; 9th tick at 2005 rating. (1858 for goblins)
Earthliving Weapon - 5th tick at 916 rating. (780 for goblins)

You'll probably want to gear for 916 rating from regular and heroic dungeon content. If you start raiding and getting lots of ilvl 359+ gear, the 2005 rating mark becomes feasible if you really want it and you find yourself getting close. Otherwise, there's not much need to go overboard on haste, especially in today's mana environment, where haste is the only secondary stat that actually has a negative impact on HPM, while all others are positive. It's worth noting that if you spec into Telluric Currents, haste does provide increased regen from this talent.

Crit: Crit is a good throughput stat, and a good regen stat, through [Resurgence]. Basically, this is an all-around good stat that pretty much all resto shaman like okay, as something you probably don't want to super gear for, but not something you want to reforge off, either, especially in 4.2 with crits healing for 200% instead of 150%. For Telluric Currents-specced shaman, crit also boosts TC regen.

Mastery: Mastery is a very highly debatable stat. With the 4.0.6 buffs, it finally actually provides more throughput than crit and haste on low-health targets. It scales linearly from 1-100% health, providing full benefit at 1% health and zero benefit at 100% target health. One oddity of our mastery is that it scales negatively with raid gear and skill. By that I mean that as your group gets better at the encounters and as their (and your, and your fellow healers') gear improves, everyone will spend less time at low percent health. Furthermore, as your gear improves in the same content, HPM becomes less of an issue, and HPS via haste can allow you to get the job done faster. As a result, there's an interesting cycle where mastery is often better for progression fights, while haste takes over as encounters get more comfortable:

If you want to read up in more detail on our Mastery, I suggest this blog post by Vixsin, who is also the originator of the above graphic, from a different post in his blog.

V. Glyphs

(a) Prime Glyphs
[Glyph of Earth Shield] - Still great, as always.
[Glyph of Riptide] - You really want the extra ticks of Riptide. I can't emphasize this enough.
[Glyph of Earthliving Weapon] - Once your Spirit is high enough that you're not dying for mana, this is really all that's left that's useful.
[Glyph of Water Shield] - When you're first gearing up, this is worth using. It doesn't scale with gear at all, however, so you'll outgrow it. Replace it when you don't really run out of mana much anymore.

(b) Major Glyphs
[Glyph of Chain Heal] - Chain Heal is only worth casting when it's going to hit at least 3, preferably 4, targets with or without this glyph. If you only cast it under those circumstances, then this glyph can only make Chain Heal better.
[Glyph of Healing Stream Totem] - Obviously useful. You'll be using HSTotem almost exclusively as your water totem anyway, and this just makes it even better.
[Glyph of Stoneclaw Totem] - This is glyph is extremely good for a Major Glyph. The amount of damage prevented (16,000) is roughly equivalent to two full Healing Wave casts. It takes 1.5s to cast as opposed to 5s, and uses less than half the mana. If you know you have damage coming at you and can preempt it by dropping Stoneclaw with this glyph, you save yourself time and mana. In a raiding situation, this typically does not come at the cost of any group buffs due to everyone and their brother providing Strength of Earth, and Stoneskin coverage by paladins. Even if you have to redrop whatever totem you had down before, it's still a mana and time saving glyph, it's just not as significant of a gain.
[Glyph of Healing Wave] - This does a good job of making it so you don't have to worry too much about healing yourself in many situations. Actually trivializes some situations, like when a mob has a random secondary target DoT that ends up on you. However, as your gear and, more importantly, experience improves, Glyph of Stoneclaw Totem is really the way to go.
[Glyph of Hex] - Worth remembering when you're doing heroics and are being called upon to CC. Chances are high that Glyph of Chain Heal is completely useless in your heroic group, so this can be safely swapped into that slot.

(c) Minor Glyphs
Whatever you want. If you suck at remembering to buy Ankhs, you should probably get the one that removes the reagent cost, though.
Alex, 29 Human Chemist
Piju 90 Pandaren Monk
Rhaegal 90 Goblin Shaman
...and many more

Please increase your signal to noise ratio before speaking.
Rhaegal

Re: Restoration Shaman in Cataclysm

Postby Rhaegal » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Updated some notes, particularly regarding GHW, HS, Mastery, and an additional Glyph that didn't make my original post.

Summary: GHW is way better than it was when I originally wrote this, and is much more of a go-to healing spell now. My healing style has shifted to favor GHW over HS in more situations as a result, as I suspect is true for most or all other resto shaman.

For Mastery, two major notes. First, FORGET WHAT I SAID ABOUT CHAIN HEAL AND MASTERY BEFORE. It has since been proven false. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry about it. Chain Heal and Mastery are friends, not enemies, and there's no reason to believe otherwise. Second, take a look at the graphic in the original post. It's specifically referring to raiding, but the same logic holds true to any form of progression, even just normals to heroics to heroic ZX.

The Glyph I added was [Glyph of Stoneclaw Totem] , which is now one of my favorite things ever. This is definitely an Advanced Strategy. You will probably want to stick with Glyph of Healing Wave early on in your resto career, but if you stick with it and get comfortable with the spec, your role as a healer, and what incoming damage to expect from your current content, you should consider switching to the superior Stoneclaw glyph. I started using it when we were on Nef, but realized in the process that I'm an idiot for waiting so long to swap to it, and have since been using the crap out of it on quite a variety of encounters.
Alex, 29 Human Chemist
Piju 90 Pandaren Monk
Rhaegal 90 Goblin Shaman
...and many more

Rhaegal

Postby Hamish » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:48 pm

At first I read "pushing our healing team to the limit" from that picture as "Pushing our healing totem to the limit".
I'd be a lot funnier if you guys were smarter.
Hamish

Postby Rhaegal » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:14 pm

I updated this post for 4.2. The main changes are as follows:

- Added an entry for Spirit Link Totem under the Non-Healing Spells section.
- Added the relevant haste break points for goblins to the haste stat section.
- Fleshed out some comments on resto tree filler talents, particularly Blessing of the Eternals.
- Added a brief comment about the Elemental Precision resto spec for completeness. It probably won't apply to anyone here, though.
Alex, 29 Human Chemist
Piju 90 Pandaren Monk
Rhaegal 90 Goblin Shaman
...and many more

Rhaegal

Postby Undra » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:28 am

This is kind of a brain-dump, so I apologize in advance.

After a day of Stonecore and Vortex, I am beginning to hate cats and rogues. And tanks that don't practice safe cc before heroics. In fact, anything in melee range of the mob, I've decided to resent by default.

Dk's are a strange exception, their self-healing thing makes me second-guess whether I should commit mana to them, Paladins seem to float through encounters without taking any damage at all, unless they're ret, and i might be getting spoiled by a constant supply of shadow priests backing up my healing and mana. But they steal my spirit items so fuck 'em.

I hate those fucking ogre-lords towards the end of the place, and more than thrice i have been left to die to shale spider packs because I DARED to try to loot something, or had the gall to gather leather for my profession instead of blindly autofollowing the tank who is NEVER around when I'm being nibbled to death. That Oz bastard is a melee health sink, it seems only tanks ever get out of the way. No one, but NO ONE, tries to save me from adds on the last bitch either.

AND YET I KEPT QUEUEING!

I'm not saying I have a new respect for healers. I already had respect for healers, they did the job I didn't want to do. But the lesson I learned back when Maradon was new content, protect the fucking healer, no one else seems to have learned. How are these people only now queueing for dungeons in their 80s without this VITAL nugget at the core of their shrivelled dps reptilian brainstems? If tank dies, we all die. If healer dies, then the tank will die, and we all die. If dps dies, laugh at the bastard for not getting out of the fire. I AM HEALER! I AM THE HEART OF THE GROUP! CHERISH ME!

I am noticing a bad habit of getting tunnel vision staring at health bars, to the extent I ignore my own, and what the boss might be doing. What's a good way to counter that? I think i want to change my party frames so it looks like I'm just another party member, but i'm not sure what's availible without turning pitbull back on. And that path leads to madness.

I guess that's all general healing thoughts... How do I get spirit-link totem into the melee group where it can do the most good other than wolfing it over and back?
When Undra saw the breadth of his stables, he wept for there were no more beasts to tame.
Undra Quala Stressball Tsunbeare Jwpepper Drymane Rockfen Rebuttal Azif Anashi Fenrock
Undra

Postby Rhaegal » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Undra wrote:I am noticing a bad habit of getting tunnel vision staring at health bars, to the extent I ignore my own, and what the boss might be doing. What's a good way to counter that? I think i want to change my party frames so it looks like I'm just another party member, but i'm not sure what's availible without turning pitbull back on. And that path leads to madness.

You are not alone. That tunnel vision is definitely the first and arguably hardest hurdle to get past for any new healer. My first advice to anyone is always group frame placement. You want your party (or raid) to be as close to your character on your screen as possible without blocking what it is you want to see. Personally, I use grid for my party/raid frames, and I do have pitbull for self, target, targetoftarget, pet, focus, and focustarget frames, as you can see in this screenshot I dug up from Wrath. Grid is actually a little farther left in that screenshot than it normally is, and my UI is a little less haphazard overall now, but my approach to frame position hasn't really changed. If you don't want to use other addons, I'm pretty sure you can move around the default Blizzard frames now. Play around and see what works for you. I do think that making yourself "just another party member" on your party/raid frames is an excellent step, however. I believe that if you use the default Blizzard raid frames for any party content, it will do exactly that.

Remember, the core tenet of all good UI design regardless of role is:

1. Determine what information you need to know.
2. Rank order the importance of each piece of information.
3. Place everything on your screen such that the more important a piece of information is, the closer it is to the center of the screen, in order to reduce the amount of eye movement required to locate it.

No matter who you are, the most important thing to know is, "Am I standing in anything?", so you probably shouldn't ever put something on top of your character. As a healer, though, the next most important set of information is your party frames and all the information that goes along with that. If it's right next to your character, you significantly reduce the danger of tunnel vision.

As far as [Spirit Link Totem]... unfortunately we don't have a fancy targeting system like hunter traps or Healing Rain. We actually have to walk our asses over to the people who need it, which means Spirit Link usage must be at least somewhat proactive--you have to know that there will be (or at least might be) a need for it and move accordingly. Furthermore, DO NOT FORGET that totem placement is not directly on you unless you're standing on weird terrain. Spirit Link is a Wind totem, which means it will drop behind you and to the left, and THAT will be the center of the 10 yard radius. Yes, it sucks.
Alex, 29 Human Chemist
Piju 90 Pandaren Monk
Rhaegal 90 Goblin Shaman
...and many more

Rhaegal

Postby Rhaegal » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:58 pm

Vixsin's blog Life in Group 5 is an excellent resource, but I particularly would like to draw your attention to her most recent post. In fact, I'd suggest anyone read it, regardless of class and role--it's basically a, "Do I know my class as well as I think I do?" post. If you're not a resto shaman, don't focus on the actual specific questions so much as the spirit of them. What sorts of tricks can you get out of your class? What talents are important all the time, and what talents are situational? What exactly do some of your abilities do, and how can you use them better? When is the best time to use your cooldowns? How do they interact with other raid cooldowns? (You get the idea!)
Alex, 29 Human Chemist
Piju 90 Pandaren Monk
Rhaegal 90 Goblin Shaman
...and many more

Rhaegal

Postby mageofundead » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:22 am

Rhaegal wrote:Vixsin's blog Life in Group 5 is an excellent resource, but I particularly would like to draw your attention to her most recent post. In fact, I'd suggest anyone read it, regardless of class and role--it's basically a, "Do I know my class as well as I think I do?" post. If you're not a resto shaman, don't focus on the actual specific questions so much as the spirit of them. What sorts of tricks can you get out of your class? What talents are important all the time, and what talents are situational? What exactly do some of your abilities do, and how can you use them better? When is the best time to use your cooldowns? How do they interact with other raid cooldowns? (You get the idea!)

Knowing your class inside and out is definitely a great thing. This might apply more towards PVP than PVE, but it's still beneficial to all.
Good News, Everyone! ಠ_ಠ
EtoilenoirMageofundeadMiltyKiss
mageofundead

Postby Rhaegal » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:14 am

I'm going to pick a few questions that I think fall into either (a) being relevant to you guys as people who raid with me, or (b) are interesting/difficult to answer as a resto shaman (some of which stumped me), and give my answers to them. I want to keep it short, so there's really only 1 of the former and a couple of the latter. There are other tough questions to answer off the top of your head, and stumped me at first, but only because they're more numerical things that you can figure out by looking up tooltips. There are also questions that would be tough, but I've already answered them above.

Question relevant to people raiding with a resto shaman

How is it that a resto shaman can have higher HPS on the first boss kill (when he isn’t as geared) than on a farm boss kill (when he has much higher spellpower and other stats)?

This is an effect of our Mastery causing us to heal for more on lower health targets. The assumption in this question is that the rest of the raid will be gearing up at the same rate as the resto shaman, meaning everyone has more health. Flat raid damage that brings everyone down to 10% health, causing us to gain nearly full benefit from our Mastery at the beginning of a tier, may only bring everyone to 30% health on a farm kill, causing our heals to hit for 20% less on those targets. This means that Resto Shaman will always contribute less to healing encounters the better your raid gets, no matter how much the shaman improves his or her gear. It's an unavoidable fact of shaman healing, and not something that you can point to and say that they're slacking.

A secondary effect pops up if the shaman takes the [Blessing of the Eternals] talent--obviously a better geared and experienced raid will fall below that health threshold less. I do not take this talent, however, as it's mostly wasted outside of a 25-man raid healing environment.

Challenging questions for resto shaman

Why is keeping ES up on your primary target so important? When should you consider swapping your ES to a new target and when shouldn’t you?

The first half of this question is easy, but this generally brings up a good point. If you're the only resto shaman, and there's a tank swap, you generally want to swap unless it's an extremely fast tank swap, like Chimaeron's Double Attack. If the swap will last long enough to use up at least, say, 3-4 charges, do it. Another good question is what happens when there are two resto shaman and only a single tank fight. Does that mean one resto shaman gets boned and doesn't get to ES anyone? No. No no no no no no. The second ES (preferably the one from the shaman with less spell power) target should be decided on based on the following criteria, in order of importance:

(a) What secondary target will take the most damage? (Note: No shamans should never have ES as it means no Water/Lightning Shield.)
(b) If everyone is roughly equal, is there a healer you can put it on?
(c) If all healers are shaman and no one stands out as taking lots of additional damage, pick a random caster DPS. Earth Shield does have a pushback resistance component that goes beyond Concentration Aura/Tranquil Air.

Are Crit and Spirit interchangeable in their effects?

No. Spirit always provides more mana regen than any other stat. Crit provides some, and also has a throughput component. Crit can be more useful in an environment where mana is less of an issue than throughput. Balance your stats to the content you're playing!

Why do discussions about Mastery (generally) also talk about crit?

Spirit is a stat that you generally want as high as possible in a raid environment, meaning most of your gear is either going to have Spirit on it naturally, or you're going to be reforging your least desirable stat for it. This means every piece of gear has only one non-Spirit secondary stat that is really a choice. Haste stacking is basically gone in Cataclysm, as you generally only gear to hit a certain threshold. Thus, your gearing decision boils down to whether you want your secondary stat preference to be Mastery or Crit, once you've hit the Haste threshold you're going for.
Alex, 29 Human Chemist
Piju 90 Pandaren Monk
Rhaegal 90 Goblin Shaman
...and many more

Rhaegal

Postby Undra » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:24 am

Because the first question out of my mind was something Alex had diligently covered in the OP
Assuming Wrath of Air, the practical points where this happens are as follows:

Riptide - 8th tick at 261 rating; 9th tick at 2005 rating. (1858 for goblins)
Earthliving Weapon - 5th tick at 916 rating. (780 for goblins)

You'll probably want to gear for 916 rating from regular and heroic dungeon content. If you start raiding and getting lots of ilvl 359+ gear, the 2005 rating mark becomes feasible if you really want it and you find yourself getting close.
When Undra saw the breadth of his stables, he wept for there were no more beasts to tame.
Undra Quala Stressball Tsunbeare Jwpepper Drymane Rockfen Rebuttal Azif Anashi Fenrock
Undra

Postby Rhaegal » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:58 pm

I'm going to leave my statement in the OP as it is, because it's still generally true, but I'm less convinced that it's worth giving a shit about the 916 (goblin 780) haste threshold for 5-man (normal and heroic) and 10-man (particularly normal mode) content. Earthliving is only a significant portion of your healing when you're healing lots of people using Chain Heal and Healing Rain. Furthermore, adding a tick to a completely uncontrollable HoT when that HoT is one of the largest contributions to the class's overheal seems... inefficient. I'm adding the following to the above section, as I think it is a much more useful goal:

Healing Rain - 6th tick at 608 rating. (475 for goblins)

It may seem odd that I just said that ELW is only significant when you're using a lot of HR and CH, so it's not worth gearing for, then turned around and suggested gearing for optimizing your Healing Rain. However, Healing Rain is entirely controllable, and the mana cost is so high that when you DO choose to use it, you very much want to ensure that it's as effective as it can be. Crossing over the 608 haste threshold to add the sixth tick causes the spell to heal for an additional 20% over its duration, which is awesome when you just spent like 12,000 mana on a spell.
Alex, 29 Human Chemist
Piju 90 Pandaren Monk
Rhaegal 90 Goblin Shaman
...and many more

Rhaegal

Return to Classes and Guides